Thursday, March 25, 2010

Gay Girl Straight World: One Thing Every Day

 
According to Wikipedia (which in some cases is like saying according to my beagle) BUT according to Wikipedia:
Happiness is a state of mind or feeling characterized by contentment, love, satisfaction, pleasure, or joy.A variety of biological, psychological, religious, and philosophical approaches have striven to define happiness and identify its sources.
 Today I was ashamed. Everyday we read newspapers and articles, floods here, disaster there and I bitch about stuff that doesn't deserve to be bitched about.

Like the other day - when a co-worker tells me he believes in gay marriage, just not in gay's having kids, unless they want to adopt the "retarded ones" because they're desperate, I took a step back and got really irritated!

I've decided to make that reaction something of the past and renew some sort of inner whateverness.  Last year I saw the Dalai Lama speak in person and I bought this quote which I have hanging at my desk.  I vowed to read it everyday and keep myself centered.  Clearly that didn't happen but I'm renewing it again and looking for one thing everyday to make me happy and one thing to let go of.

Today the happiness is sunshine and convincing a co-worker to grab lunch. 
The irritation I let go of - well the things I can't control (which are many) but for today it's knowing that you can't please everyone.

And to close here's the quote I referenced above:

Every day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to have woken up, I am alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it, I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others, to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings, I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others, I am going to benefit others as much as I can.
H.H. the XIV Dalai Lama
What makes you happy? And more importantly what do you need to let go?

No comments:

Post a Comment