Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Don't Ask Don't Tell Don't Fly?

Wait what? Did I read this correctly?

The Washington Post in a breaking news frenzy, released an alert stating that during his address, the President will speak to appealing the military's "don't ask don't tell policy"....Holy crap!

I know the President spoke about this several times before, and it's been a semi hot topic in the last year but I'm still shocked that the President will choose this time to address such a serious issue.  I applaud him for doing so but I'll be interested in seeing what will actually happen when or if the policy is repealed.

I think any red blooded American (gay or straight) at one time toys with the idea of joining the military. I myself was dogged by the Navy (of all branches the Navy?!)  and honestly contemplated it for about half a second until I realized not only would I lose all autonomy BUT I'd have to be in the closet AGAIN...no thanks I'll pass.

So, if this is repealed what does it mean?  I'm assuming that gays would be able to serve openly - have partners, be themselves without fearing a dishonorable discharge, among other things. And with that being said, wouldn't this do wonders for the military? Granted I know there will be A LOT of growing pains (can you imagine Major so-and-so having to tolerate a queen with a lisp who just happens to be the best sniper on the base?  LOVE IT!)

But I think this will open the doors to so many people who have refused to consider military service if their relationships weren't recognized. Talk about the perfect way to build the ever straggling military.  Bets are hundreds of women "with strong throwing arms" - will finally join the cause to protect and serve our country.

Plus all the service men and women who are gay, can continue to be so AND keep their jobs. Check this out. According to The Examiner the military is actually losing money because of Don't Ask Don't Tell.
 Kelvin Lynch writes about a recent UCLA finding:

"Since its inception in 1994, the “Don’t Ask/Don’t Tell” policy has cost the military between $290 million to more than a half a billion dollars.  The military spends an estimated $22,000 to $43,000 per person to replace those discharged under DADT. In other words, 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell" has never worked, and never will."

Interesting to look at Don't Ask Don't Tell from a financial standpoint...

Well I'll be looking forward to watching the address and am intrigued to see how the President words this suggested appeal. But the main question is - will the repeal actually happen and if so, does it make the army more appealing to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment