Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What is this about?


So what is this about?  I'm a twenty something and I can't complain about much. I'm gay, out to people I'm close to, and I try to lead a relatively normal life. So this is about my thoughts, I know real exciting. But what's the harm in documenting? So each post I'll tackle something that's bothering me, and I welcome everyone to post their thoughts.

So the question this time - When should one come out at work?

I'm thankful to be employed but like most of us - wish it were somewhere else.  Regardless of my employment status, one of the biggest issues I have is answering the question - "To come out or not to come out" at work.

I think for me it's important to be honest, but I find, like in most cases, being totally honest has the potential to significantly hinder you. I'm always concerned that co-workers and managers might see me differently. Will I lose credibility, and will people begin to tip toe around - making casual conversation seem forced and painful?


As of now I've never come out at work, and I wonder if I'm making it more of a big deal than I should. I monitor co-workers, we all do it.  See their reactions to certain situations and if they love Elton John etc... and wonder - how accepting can this person be?  Regardless of the laws we've all known someone who has been fired for being gay.  If you haven't -we need to introduce you to more gays.  But as of right now I've never felt comfortable enough to come out AND I've always been the only gay person in the office. How is this possible in the 20th century? I'm still figuring that out.

With that being said, I know a big part of this issue is me, my own fears, insecurities and acceptance issues. But still - when should or rather when is it appropriate to come out at work?

Any suggestions?


No comments:

Post a Comment