Thursday, February 18, 2010

EnGAYged?

Recently I've discovered that engagements are like yawning - they're catchy and spread rapidly and no, you don't sense any resentment (ok maybe a little). A lot of my friends have recently gotten engaged - it doesn't mean I'm not COMPLETELY excited for them but they're all straight too.

So I wonder:

How does a gay/lesbian couple go about an engagement?

I'm afraid to admit that I've only been to one lesbian wedding - and it WEIRDED ME OUT! Not because it was two women getting married (clearly) but because - well it was just weird, we knelt on the ground, witnessed a random play, a guinea pig and there were weapons on the wall. Um, I mean congrats to you both it was lovely.  =D

Anyway, I understand different strokes for different folks, and maybe I'm just sensitive here, but I feel like there a LOT of obstacles for same sex couples in terms of marriage aside from the whole is it legal in your state thing.  Am I wrong on this one?

So where do we go in terms of inspiration, support etc??  I actually have one of my newly engaged friends HP (no not Harry Potter) to thank for this - thanks Hedda.

So You're EnGAYged or http://www.soyoureengayged.com/.

Completely fabulous for those of you wanting to document your wedding, find friendly vendors and locations and grab the perfect photog.  Maybe it's just me but key components for a relaxing wedding for me, would be:

A)  Find a place I felt comfortable and welcomed
B) Had professionals (preferably gay) behind me that have been there before

It may sound simple - and I don't want to sound like "GAY ONLY". I understand that straight planners can be just as accepting and wonderful as anyone else but it's still good to find resources out there that are "For Gays By Gays".  Anyone else have sites they use or have used in the past?

No comments:

Post a Comment