Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Gay Games?


The Olympics are almost over - thank God!

Ok not that I'm not a huge fan, and DVR-ed pretty much every event - but after a while, you see one person go down a hill, you've seen 'em all go down. I'm looking forward to the closing ceremony - not sure it I'll watch it but it'll be nice to have a break from seeing the incessant coverage of some random person you maybe hear about once every four years...  OK that sounded a little mean but admit it - you all think it too!
But the Olympics are done or are they? 


I just remembered the Gay Olympics are this summer!! Notice the logo similarities btw - both people shaped with disproportionate legs... lol ok ok...

When I first heard about the Gay Olympics a few years agoI wasn't sure if it was a good idea. One of my main pet peeves is when we as people, take our differences and flaunt them.  I'm not talking about PRIDE or drag shows but for example: The Black Entertainment Channel or even LOGO - my first response to both was - if there was a white or "straight" channel the ACLU would be all over that like Hillary Duff on her new fiancee (sorry I just HAD to go there). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOGO  - especially RuPaul's Drag Race - AND would LOVE to work there (At LOGO that is) I mean check out this show:




Anyway, why SHOULD there be a Gay Games? What's the point? Well here's what their website says:
Based on the principles of Inclusion, Participation and Personal Best, the Games welcome everybody, regardless of their sexual orientation, age, gender, race, religion, nationality, ethnicity, physical challenge, political beliefs, physical ability, athletic/artistic skills or HIV/health status. There are no minimum athletic standards to qualify for the Games. The only requirement is the desire to support the ideals of the Games. People with specific needs or disabilities are integrated as full-fledged participants, volunteers, officials or spectators. By accepting the Games' challenge to reach for their personal best in sports, artistic and cultural activities, all Games participants automatically become winners.
Ok I totally dig that. In fact, I admire it. It's not an elitist best of the best gays event it's more of a communion. There are medal ceremonies and competitions but there are also parties, a celebration of life with participants from six continents - all together for one reason.  So yes, I am excited about the Gay Games in Germany this summer.  I would love to participate - or even volunteer! And even though I may not have heard of ANY of the athletes, I have a feeling it will be just as exciting as the "Real Olympics".   Anyone planning to attend?

No comments:

Post a Comment